On May 13, 1931, Giuseppe Cipriani Senior opened Harry’s Bar in Venice where Giuseppe’s wife, Giulietta, had found the perfect spot: a former rope warehouse on a dead-end street. At the time, there was no bridge yet to connect it to St. Mark’s Square, so customers could not just pass by – they would have to come on purpose. The original décor was designed by another one of Giuseppe’s customers, Baron Giovanni Rubin de Cervin, director of the Naval Museum, who also drew the logo of a barman. Elegant, yet informal, Harry’s Bar is where foreigners come to feel like locals and Venetians feel like they are abroad.
Throughout its 92 years of history, Harry’s Bar has been the witness of the XX Century in Venice. Its importance was also acknowledged by the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage that declared it a National Landmark in 2001. No other public place in Italy had received the same award in the same Century.